Friday, May 30, 2014

a graduation rant....

ok, so....i had too few employees in the building today because of graduation....from preschool, from kindergarten, from 5th grade, from 8th grade....gracious sakes...what ever happened to rewarding with a cap, gown and a few gifts the major milestones....like high school and college.....and maybe graduate school...after the mob scene that was graduation in the horseshoe of The Ohio State University Stadium, I opted for a simple celebratory lunch with family and a few friends at the Golden Lamb in Lebanon, Ohio when I finished grad school at the University of Cincinnati. I recall that we also skipped the ceremony when my spouse finished his M.Ed at U of C.....we were in honeymoon mode and paying for another cap and gown seemed silly.....but I digress from the notion that finishing the grades offered in any one district building is or could be the pinnacle of one's academic career.....the photos posted on FB are precious, of course...but I fear with far too many the bar has been set far too low with regards to potential.....as well as for actual achievement....the last time I attended an 'awards' event it was at the insistence of a child who was certian that an award was in the offing...there was...for attendence...which I contend is merely a parent's award for assuring that the child in question was out of bed and in the car in time for school drop-off despite the weather/attitude/health conditions.....having said my peace. let the numerous FB photos continue throughout the weekend with my congratulations and prayers for a brighter future

No comments: