Tuesday, March 06, 2007

soapbox.....

ok, so i got up on my soapbox today...for mere moments...but long enough to make my point.....i had a client who spoke no english, and her 5th grader aged brother had come along to interpret.....this scenario was already charged, as the mother-to-be was of the age of one of my children.....i notice this detail without fail......the interpreter did just fine...but after she left one of my colleagues made a tired comment about why these people cannot learn english.....i could not help but to inquire how many languages the complainer spoke....and then to explain that i have been trying for 30 years to learn that elusive second language....the exchange lasted just moments...but at this particular point in my life....listening to language cd's and writing out sentences and practicing my accent...i have no patience for those who think it must be easy......

No comments: